Wellness Recovery Action Plan®
A Wellness Plan For You, By You
By designing your own Wellness Recovery Action Plan, you can make your life and your mental health recovery what you want it to be.
What is Wellness Recovery Action Plan®?
A Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) is a self-designed plan for making your life and your mental health recovery what you want it to be. It allows you to:
- Discover the tools and strategies that will help you to become and remain well
- Create a daily plan for living a healthy life on your own terms
- Better understand what challenges or stresses you, and how you can respond to these upsetting events
- Plan for what to do before, during, and after a health crisis
In 1997, the process for creating a WRAP was pioneered by a group of people who wanted to find ways to fulfill their own dreams and goals. They wanted to overcome their mental health challenges on their own terms, according to their own self-understanding. Dr. Mary Ellen Copeland—who also lives with mental health challenges—recorded their process. Soon enough, WRAP began spreading throughout the mental health and addictions recovery world as its reputation for effectiveness grew.
Since then, it has been studied extensively by researchers. It is now considered an evidence-based approach for supporting mental health recovery with many proven benefits, including:
- Decreasing difficult thoughts and behaviours
- Increasing feelings of empowerment
- Improving quality of life
- Helping achieve dreams and goals
Who is it for?
WRAP is for anyone at all. Extensive research has shown that it’s a highly effective tool for people living with health challenges who want to recover their health and wellness.
What to expect
When you take part in a WRAP workshop, you’ll attend several sessions with other people you can relate, along with a Peer Support worker who also knows what living with health challenges is like. In this safe space, you’ll participate in activities and discussions that will help you to build your own unique WRAP.
Get the WRAP app
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Join
WRAP workshops are held at various locations and online throughout the year. Register now to see upcoming WRAP workshops and get connected.